跨虹橋

濯纓池たくえいちを中央で南北に結び、二分する形で地上と天上を結ぶ虹のように構築された縮景園しゅっけいえんを象徴する名橋です。
長さ 24.88m(堤の長さ南側 10.2m、北側 9.4m、太鼓橋 5.28m)幅 1.99m、開口部 2.54m の石橋(反橋・太鼓橋)です。

7 代藩主 浅野重晟あさのしげあきらが天明の大改修で清水七郎右衛門しみずしちろうえもんに二度も築きなおさせた言われる御影石みかげいし造りの太鼓橋と堤です。堅固で原子爆弾の破壊も免れ、芸予地震げいよじしんにも耐えたものです。

園内には、指定区域に、8 木造橋・7 石造橋・2 土橋含めて 17 橋梁(跨虹橋ここうきょう附属橋含む。)があります。また、指定外区域には、5 橋梁があります。

‘Koko-kyo’ Bridge

Running from north to south at the center of the pond, and dividing the pond into two parts, one as earth and the other as heaven, which are connected by the bridge in the shape of a rainbow. It is well-reputed as a symbol of the garden, made of granite with an overall length of 24.88m, including its banks stretching north 9.4m and south 10.2m. The length of this arched bridge itself is 5.28m with an opening of 2.54m. It is said that Asano Shigeakira had Shimizu Shichiroemon redo the bridge twice in order to maintain its original style during the large-scale restoration work in the eighteenth century.

濯纓池

この濯纓池たくえいちの取水は正面築山つきやまの向こう側の京橋川から満潮時に取り込むように造られており、上流からの真水と海水が混ざり合って流れ込むため、水質は汽水きすい(弱塩水)状態です。このため、コイとボラ、スズキ、チヌが一緒にいる池となっています。広さ約 8,000m2、最深部の深さは 1.2m です。

‘Takuei-chi’ Pond

Designed to be replenished with water from the Kyobashi-gawa River just behind the mound in the front, where fresh water meets salt water at the time of high tide. Because the quality of the water is slightly salty, some fish such as ‘bora’ or mullet, Japanese sea perch, and black sea bream live in the pond. The pond area is approx. 8,000 m2 and is 1.2m at its deepest point.

清風館

清風館せいふうかんは庭園のほぼ中央にあり、庭園にふさわしい数奇屋すきや造りで、屋根は杮葺きこけらぶきです。西側は優雅な書院造りしょいんづくりの様式をそなえており、東側には花頭窓かとうまどを設け跨虹橋ここうきょうに臨んでいます。代々の藩主が愛好した名亭です。

この建物は従来「壱之御茶屋」と呼ばれていましたが、7 代藩主 浅野重晟あさのしげあきら時代、文徴明ぶんちょうめい筆の「清風」の額に因んで「清風館せいふうかん」と呼ばれるようになりました。
明治 27・28 年(1894・95)の日清戦争に当たって大本営が東京から広島に移され、縮景園しゅっけいえんは、大本営副営とされ、清風館せいふうかんは、明治天皇の居所とされました。

面積は、約 178m2で、昭和39年(1964)に復元されました。

‘Seifukan’ Tea House

Located around the center of the garden, the ‘Seifukan’ Villa blends in well with the garden as it was built in Sukiya style with its roof thatched with Japanese pampas grass. On the other hand, its west portion is designed in an elegant Shoin style with a ‘Kato-mado’ window facing ‘Koko-kyo’ Bridge. This was the favorite house, loved by the every lord. It used to be called ‘Ichi-no-ochaya’ Cottage before the era of the seventh lord Asano Nagaakira, but was changed to the present name after the calligraphy of ‘Seifu’ meaning cool breeze by Bun Choumei, which was displayed in the building.

The building served as the sub-headquarters during the period of the Sino-Japanese War between 1894 and 1895, when the military headquarters was transferred from Tokyo to Hiroshima. The Meiji Emperor once used the villa as the residence. Its area was approx. 178㎡when completely restored in 1964.

美術館前広場

野点石・盆栽展・着物体験などのイベントが行われます。

盆栽展の様子
庭カフェの様子

Grass square in front of the art museum

This place is the site of many events such as open-air tea ceremony, bonsai exhibitions, and kimono wearing experiences.

Bonsai Exhibition
‘Niwa’ Cafe

超然居

園内最大の島で観瀾橋かんらんきょう洗心橋せんしんきょうの両橋で結ばれ人里を離れた静寂な場所を表しています。

中央に杮葺こけらぶき屋根の四阿あずまやがあります。

周辺の模様は、上田宗箇うえだそうこの代表的な作意であると言われており、清水七郎右衛門しみずしちろうえもん宗箇そうこの意思を尊重し手を加えなかったものです。昭和 45 年(1970)に復元されました。

‘Chozenkyo’ Place

The largest island in the garden, this represents a remote village connected by the two bridges of ‘Kanran-bashi’ Bridge, the largest in the garden and ‘Seishin-bashi’ Bridge. In its center is an arbor with a roof thatched with Japanese pampas grass.

As the surrounding scenery is said to be a typical expression of the intention of Ueda Soko, the landscaper, Shimizu Shichiroemon did not touch the place at all as a sign of respect. The restoration work was completed in 1970.

梅林

園内には約 18 種類、約 120 本の梅が植栽されており、1 月下旬から 2 月下旬に見頃を迎えます。

明治 27~28 年に梅林となり、それ以前は流芳軒や駐漆所、弓の射的場、馬屋などがあったようです。

Plum forest

120 plum trees of 18 varieties are planted within the garden, blossoming during the period from late January to late February.

This spot became a plum forest in 1952 – 1953. Before that time this was the site of Ryuho-ken cottage, Chushitsu-sho cottage, horse training ground, an archery range, stables, and other facilities.

丹楓林

清風館東の桜花巷おうかこうは春の場所ですが、この丹楓林たんぷうりんはモミジの紅葉を楽しむ秋の場所であり、園の西側にある紅葉の名所です

ヤマモミジ・イロハカエデ・セイガイモミジなど約 138 本植えられています。

Tanfurin Forest

Oukako to the east of Seifukan is place to enjoy the springtime, wile Tanfurin Forest on the west side of the garden is an autumn spot where visitors can enjoy the fall colors of the maple trees.

Around 138 mountain maple, Japanese maple, Seigai maple, and other trees are planted here.

真砂浜

瀬戸内海の砂浜に見立てて造られたといわれています。

Masagohama

It is said this spot was made to resemble a sand beach on the Seto Inland Sea.

古松渓(ライトアップ)

北に明月亭、南に州浜(真砂浜)・夕照庵を望みます。

Kosho Ravine (Illumination)

From here you can see Meigetsu-Tei to the north, and the beach (Masagohama) and Sekisyo-an to the south.

駐杖榻

東に駐杖榻ちゅうじょうとうとよばれる簡易な四阿があり、西に白龍泉とよばれる三段の滝があります。正面には超然居が見えます。

Chujoto

To the east is the simple arbor known as Chujoto, and to the west is the three-stage waterfall called Seiryusen. Directly in front you can see Chouzen-kyo.

揚柳湾・島

背後に臨えい岡、南の濯纓池内に鶴島の小蓬莱しょうほうらい、亀島の清漣島を望みます。

Yoryu Bay and Island

With Rin-ei Hill behind, to the south this spot faces Shohorai on Tsurujima Island and Seirento on Kameshima Island in Takuei Pond.

迎暉峰

園内最大の築山で富士山を縮景しゅっけい表現したとも言われています。
この頂上から広島城下や広島湾、はるか宮島まで望むことができたといわれています。大名庭園には、このような山を築き、天守閣の役目をする場所となっていたようです。

‘Geiki-ho’ Peak

This is a man-made mound or 'Tsukiyama' in Japanese and is supposed to be the highest point in the garden, and also a miniature copy of Mt. Fuji, from where you were able to see the castle town of Hiroshima, Hiroshima Bay and as far as Miyajima Island. In every feudal lord's garden, this kind of mound is built to work just like a castle tower to watch over the castle town.

望春島

石橋・土橋で結ばれている亀島です。

‘Boshunto’ Island

This stone island is connected by a stone bridge and land bridge.

竹林

正面に見える竹林には孟宗竹が植えられており、その奥に進めば薬草園、川の方に進めば、香菜圃こうさいほとよばれる茶畑に向かいます

薬草園

Bamboo forest

The bamboo forest visible in front is planted with moso bamboo. Inside it is the Yakuso-en herb garden. In the direction of the river is the tea plantation known as Kosai-ho.

‘Yakuso-en’ Herb Garden

名勝 縮景園

昭和 15 年 7 月 12 日名勝指定

縮景園しゅっけいえんは初代広島藩主 浅野長晟あさのながあきらが広島城入城の翌年 元和6年(1620)から別邸の庭として築庭がされたもので、作庭者は家老で茶人として知られる上田宗箇うえだそうこです。
これ以後、改修が重ねられ、7代藩主 浅野長晟あさのながあきらが天明3年(1783)から同8年にかけて京都の庭師清水七郎右衛門しみずしちろうえもんを招いて着手した大改修により現在に残る景観、地割じわりになっています。

庭園の特徴は、広大な池を中心に造形された池泉回遊式ちせんかいゆうしきの大名庭園です。

‘Shukkeien’ Garden
(literally meaning Shrunken Scenery Park)

Designated National Scenic Beauty - July 12, 1940

Landscaped and built by Ueda Soko, the chief retainer of the Hiroshima Domain and well-known tea master, by the order of Asano Nagaakira, the first feudal lord of the domain, as his villa. The construction work began in 1620, the following year he made a triumphal entry into Hiroshima Castle. Even after its completion, several renovations have been made. Eight years were spent, form 1783 to 1791 in the reign of the seventh lord Asano Shigeakira, on large-scale restoration and renovation work directed by Shimizu Shichiroemon, a landscape gardener from Kyoto. Since then the present scenery and layout as a whole has been kept, featuring a large pond in the center, a so called pond-stroll garden for a feudal lord.

利用案内
開園時間4月1日~9月30日
9時~18時(30分前まで入園可)
10月1日~3月31日
9時~17時(30分前まで入園可)
休園日12月29日~31日
入園料
個人団体(20名以上)
一般 260円200円
高・大学生 150円100円
小・中学生 100円80円
  • 小・中・高校生は満20歳以上の引率者同伴の場合、無料です。
  • 縮景園と広島県立美術館の所蔵作品展との共通券も販売しております。

共通券

一般 610円
高・大学生 350円
駐車場料金
乗用車 1時間まで360円
以降30分毎に180円
バス 1時間まで800円
以降30分毎に400円

詳しくはこちら

Information
Opening hours April 1 to September 30
9:00~18:00 (Admission up to 30 minutes before closing time)
October 1 to March 31
9:00~17:00 (Admission up to 30 minutes before closing time)
Closed dayDecember 29 to 31
Admission
IndividualGroup (20 persons or more)
Adults 260 yen200 yen
high school / college student 150 yen100 yen
elementary and junior high students 100 yen80 yen
  • Free of charge for elementary, middle or high school students with an accompanying guardian or leader above 20 years of age.
  • Joint Passes for the Shukkeien, and the Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum's Collection Exhibition are on sale.

Joint Pass

Adults 610 yen
High school students
and College students
350 yen
Parking fee
Passenger Car Parking fee is 360 yen up to one hour. After that, the fee is 180 yen per each additional 30 minutes.
Bus Parking fee is 800 yen up to one hour. After that, the fee is 400 yen per each additional 30 minutes.

Further details are below.

西側池中央部の島で南側に巨大な立石組を設けています。この石組は蓬莱式鶴石組ほうらいしきつるいしぐみで、三尊石さんぞんせきでもあり、また枯滝式かれたきしきの石組とも言われ、園の基幹を成す石組みです。

積翠巌せきすいがんの積翠は積み重なった翠、マツのことで、巌は大岩のことです。

This is a big rock formation on the island located in the center of the western half of the ‘Takuei-chi’ Pond. The rock formation is called the Horai-style Crane-stone Arrangement, which represents three saints and built in the Dry Waterfall Style as well. This works as a major structure for the garden. ‘Sekisui’ and ‘gan’ mean many layers of green and giant rock, respectively.

屋根は茅葺かやぶき屋根、面積約 8m2の茶室です。ここより見る秋の夕日に映える紅葉は、大変美しいものです。

昭和 45 年(1970)に復元されました。

The colorful autumnal leaves shining in the sunset seen from here are superb. The roof is thatched with Japanese pampas grass and the area of the house is approx. 8 m2. The restoration was completed in 1970.

正徳 3 年(1713)5 代藩主 浅野吉長あさのよしながは稲荷神社を建立し、広島藩領内の平穏無事と子孫繁栄を祈願したと伝えられています。昭和 20 年(1945)の原子爆弾により焼失し、現在は饒津神社にぎつじんじゃ内に復元されています。

In 1713 Asano Yoshinaga, the fifth lord of this domain, built ‘Inari-jinja’ shrine to pray for peace and quiet and the perpetuation of descendants for the domain. The shrine was burnt down by the A-Bomb in 1945, and has now been restored in the premises of Nigitsu-jinja Shrine.

このイチョウは、昭和 20 年(1945)原子爆弾投下後の火災から生き残った木の一本です。幹周りは約 4m、木の高さは約 17m で樹齢は推定 200 年以上と言われています。
爆風で傾いたため、倒れないようにと梢や枝を切りはらっています。被爆イチョウの種として、海外に贈られ、平和を訴えています。

This is the only tree that survived the Atomic Bombing in 1945, but its branches and twigs were actually cut off because it was slanted by the A-Bomb blast. It stands 17m high, with about 4m in trunk circumference. It is estimated to be more than 200 years old. Its seeds have been sent around the world to appeal for world peace.

3 区に分けて、宇治茶と藩内の有名品種の茶を植えている茶畑です。
昭和 38 年(1963)に種を蒔き、被爆前の姿に復元した。毎年八十八夜前後に新茶摘みが行われています。

茶摘みの様子

The area is divided into three sections with ‘Uji-cha’ tea leaves and some other famous leaves from the domain planted here. The tea garden was finally restored, and seeds were sown in 1963. On or around the eighty-eighth day from the vernal equinox every year, new crops of tea are harvested.

Tea picking

寛文3年(1663)の記録に、園の東方に薬草園があり、救急に備えているとあります。藩主が薬草の自給自足を目的として栽培していたものです。
この薬草園は、東京小石川薬草園のご協力により、昭和40年(1965)頃から復元し、平成8年(1996)から薬学博士 神田博史こうだひろふみ先生のご指導を受け、植栽整備を行っています。

According to the record in 1663, there was an herb garden kept for emergencies in the east section of the garden, meaning the lord intended to prepare medicinal herbs for himself. The restoration of the garden was begun in around 1965 with the help of the Tokyo Koishikawa Herb Garden. With the guidance of Kouda Hirofumi, Doctor of Pharmacy, necessary arrangements have been made for planting herbs since 1996.

天明の大改修に清水七郎右衛門しみずしちろうえもんの指示により建て方も場所も変えてこの場所に移されたものです。

茅葺かやぶき屋根の四阿あずまやです。昭和 44 年(1969)に復元されました。

At the time of restoration in the Tenmei period this building was rebuilt and moved to this site under the direction of Shimizu Shichiroemon. The roof is thatched with Japanese pampas grass. Actually this was restored in 1969.

座席はロクロ式に作られ、回転するようになっていました。この場所で、藩主が対岸の東照宮に続く桃林の花や京橋川を行き交う川船を眺めていたといわれています。昭和 44 年(1969)に復元されました。

The seat was originally designed to turn just like a lathe, on which the lord sat to view the peach tree woods leading to the Toshogu Shrine on the other side of the Kyobashi-gawa River, and also the boats going up and down the river. It was restored in 1969.

小さな水田で、藩主が田植えをして、その年の五穀豊穣を祈願したと伝えられています。

It is said that in this small area the feudal lord used to plant rice and pray for bumper crops of the year.

馬の調教訓練に用いた調馬場の跡です。
付近には藩主が調馬状況を見物する「流芳軒りゅうほうけん」や、弓や銃の演習場もありました。

This area used to be a horse training ground with ‘Ryuho-ken’ cottage, from where the lord was able to view the training. There were also archery and firearms training grounds within the area.

濯纓池には大小 14 個の島が浮かんでいます。島は、長寿を祈願するための鶴と亀をかたどっています。鶴をかたどった島は、跨虹橋を挟み、東西一島ずつ配置されています。その石組は頭部が長く、手の部分が平立石となっています。

Takueichi Pond has in total fourteen bridges of different sizes. Some islands are shaped like tortoises and cranes as a symbol to pray for the longevity of life. Two crane-shaped islands are laid east and west of the Koko-kyo Bridge (the arched bridge) in between. The rockwork for the heads are long, and ‘Heiritsu-ishi’ rocks have been used as wings.